Department of Economics
|Programme Name||No.of semesters||Total seats
|Bachelor of Arts in Applied Economics (Self Financing)||6||30
The Department of Economics is one of the youngest departments on campus. Inaugurated in 2014, the department has five faculty and a total student strength of 90. The department offers three year BA Applied Economics programme which is specially designed for students aspiring for IAS, IES and the like or take up higher studies in Economics or Management from premier institutes like Delhi School of Economics, IIFT, IIMs etc. Econometrics, Mathematical Economics and Financial Accounting have replaced second languages and complementary courses found in the traditional undergraduate programme. Internships, projects, outreaches and Industrial Visits are all integral part of the programme.
- Candidates shall be required to have passed Plus Two or equivalent examination or an examination recognised by this University as equivalent thereto.
- Total marks obtained in the qualifying examination less handicap marks plus the marks obtained for optional concerned at the qualifying examination plus a subject weightage of 50 marks in the case of those who have taken the Economics Subject at the qualifying examination plus bonus marks if any.
- Only online applications will be accepted. Application fee should be remitted online.
- Students who have already submitted the enquiry form must also fill the online application.
- Application fee is Rs 400/- (Rs 200/- for SC/ST candidates).
- Single application is sufficient for all UG programmes.
- Application fee once remitted shall not be refunded under any circumstances.
- Admission to management seats will be made by the Management. Interested students can apply. Rs 500 extra.
- Candidates applying under management/community quota have to download an additional form after registration. The form has to be filled and submitted to the college office.
- Age proof (10th Matriculation Certificate), Proof of eligibility certificates for bonus marks must be uploaded.
- Candidates awaiting results of the qualifying examination are also eligible to apply. However, admission process can be completed only after the submission of result of the qualifying examination.
- Extension/Discussions/ Presentations/ Quiz
Special Training for students
- Weekly Discussions on Current Economics/Politics/Policy/Government
- Kurukshethra – National Level Intercollegiate General Quiz
- Vande Matharam – State Level Inter school Freedom Struggle Quiz
- Industrial visits – 2
- Outreach programmes/ Extension programmes – 1
- Fest/ Association activities – 1 (National Level)
- Future Economists’ Association of Marian (FEAM) – Photo Exhibition on ’84 years of Malayalam Cinema’(in association with Kerala State Chalachithra Academy)
- Additional course (Lakshya) – 1
- SEBI – Regarding Functions and Needs of Share Market Controlling
- Geojit Paribas – Investment and Financial Planning for Students
- University of Madras – Introduction to Practical Economics (Dr R Srinivasan)
- Experiential Learning - Computer Applications (MS Office), industrial visits
- Active learning – mathematics problem solving
- Social Media Learning – WhatsApp Class rooms
- Collaborative learning
- Lecture /Quiz/ GD/Presentation/Assignments/Audio-Visual Materials
- ‘Expert Talks’ for students by eminent professors and professionals
- State Level Silver Medal for Taekwondo
- Active memberships in Marian Band, NSS, NCC, Jesus Youth and CSM
- Two Students got admission to Integrated PG Courses of Central University of Tamilnadu and Pondicherry Central University during their course of study in the Department
- ‘After School’ – classes for school students
- Academic Qualifications
No. of books authored by faculty - 1
Research publications – 3
Seminars/workshops Attended – 14
National Seminars Conducted - 1
Training and consultancy – 3 (Economics for other departments (BSW / MSW/ MMH)
- UGC NET - 1
- Additional Degrees – 2
|04869-232203, 232654, +919447083311|