Department of Applied Economics
|Programme Name||No.of semesters||Total seats
|Bachelor of Arts in Applied Economics (Self Financing)||6||30
The B.A Applied Economics offered by the Department of Applied Economics at Marian College Kuttikkanam (Autonomous) is a prestigious and unique degree, focusing on practical economics. This course will help the students to get a strong foundation in Economics, Statistics, Mathematical Economics and Econometrics. Through various programs, the department gives students international exposure in addition to preparing the students for competitive exams. Students have an opportunity to engage in social immersion programs and to pitch their business ideas.
Economics is a thrilling and puzzling discipline which explores prominent real-world issues of this rat race era. Being an economist requires good analytical skills and critical thinking; the skills to evaluate data, crack problems and make favourable decisions that impact the domain around us. The Marian Economics degree will develop your critical thinking skills as well as equip you with an understanding of how to analyse and manipulate quantitative data in an effective and meaningful way as the economic concepts are quantifiable. It is natural therefore to create prototypes/models in terms of well-defined relationships between economic variables, and to analyse the properties of these models by mathematical and statistical methods.
Why Study BA Applied Economics?
Economics is the study of problems that arise because resources are limited and hence questions about resource allocation become vital to understanding the way we live and how societies are planned. As you headway through this programme, you will learn about topics related with economics and how it is related to the individual well-being, how trade between economies can make everyone better off.
- Accounting Package - Tally
- Data Analytics - Excel, SPSS/Stata course etc
- Fundamentals of Capital Market for Portfolio Management
- Entrepreneurial Skill Development Course
- Farm Planning
Who can apply?
Students from any streams of study with high marks at the higher secondary level can apply. This programme will be best suited for scholars with high level of logical thinking and has moderate mathematical aptitude (skills).
After BA Applied Economics – What?
Graduates from the Department of Economics do not just become economists, there are a variety of career and vocational choices following your degree. You can join for the three year Civil Services coaching classes right from your first year.
A degree in Economics provides the skills required for a very wide range of careers and we are renowned for producing high-calibre graduates. Students of Economics go on to be in high demand by employers in diverse sectors, such as financial management and accounting, government services, NGOs, investment and retail banking, teaching, insurance, general management, sales and marketing, personnel and journalism.
- This programme requires the minimum eligibility criteria as a candidate must complete 10+2 examination from all streams of study with a minimum of 60% marks at the higher secondary level can apply. This programme will be best suited for scholars with high level of logical thinking and has moderate mathematical aptitude skills.
- Total marks obtained in the qualifying examination less handicap marks plus the marks obtained for optional concerned at the qualifying examination plus a subject weightage of 50 marks in the case of those who have taken the Economics Subject at the qualifying examination plus bonus marks if any.
- Only online applications will be accepted. Application fee should be remitted online.
- Students who have already submitted the enquiry form must also fill the online application.
- Application fee is Rs 400/- (Rs 200/- for SC/ST candidates).
- Single application is sufficient for all UG programmes.
- Application fee once remitted shall not be refunded under any circumstances.
- Admission to management seats will be made by the Management. Interested students can apply. Rs 500 extra.
- Candidates applying under management/community quota have to download an additional form after registration. The form has to be filled and submitted to the college office.
- Age proof (10th Matriculation Certificate), Proof of eligibility certificates for bonus marks must be uploaded.
- Candidates awaiting results of the qualifying examination are also eligible to apply. However, admission process can be completed only after the submission of result of the qualifying examination.
- All students become members of United Nations Academic Impact (A student’s forum under the UN). It paves the way for doing foreign internships and other collaborations.
- Collaboration with the Research Center of Sustainable and Inclusive Development.
- Enrolment in 'earning while you learn' programme.
- The programme provides a solid base in the core concepts of Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Mathematical Economics, Econometrics, Statistics, Agriculture Economics, Sustainable Development, Financial Economics, etc.
- There are different additional courses that run through the different semesters of the programme such as Tally, Excel, SPSS, Entrepreneurial Skill development, Farm planning, communication skill development, etc. that enables you to develop a degree shaped by your interests and skills.
- As electives in the final year, you can choose one course from either Sustainable Development or Tourism or HR management.
Value classes, outreach programmes, industrial visits, extension activities field trips all help you enrich your learning experience.
- During your final year, you will also have Internship and project, which allows in-depth study of a topic of special interest to you.
- Experiential Learning - Internships, field visits, industrial visits, Start-ups in Marian Incubation centre.
- Active learning – mathematics problem solving, seminars, conferences, symposiums, self-paced learning
- Online Class rooms
- Collaborative learning - group work
- Lecture /Quiz/ GD/Presentation/Assignments/Audio-Visual Materials
- ‘Expert Talks’ for students by eminent professors and professionals
- Holistic learning - sports, cultural, yoga, value classes, mentoring, debates, discussion forums.
- International exposure
The faculty members in the department of Applied Economics at Marian are dedicated academicians who will guide you through to master the various facets of Economics. Studying Economics will enable you to understand how economists think about economic problems; how economics model work and how they are applied to real-world issues.
The dedicated and enterprising faculty members having national and international exposure is led by the Programme Director, Dr. T V Murlivallabhan who is an international resource person on Sustainable Development and Eco-spirituality. He is the winner of St. Berchman’s Award for Best College Teacher in Kerala (2010) and Brilliant Achiever Award (2014), Speaker’s Special Award (2015) and Distinguished Achiever Award from Zoroastrian College, Mumbai to mention a few.
Eminent scholars and subject experts to advice the faculty and BoS.
- Mr K T Chacko, IAS (Retd.), (former) DGFT and Director of IIFT. International Trade and monetary policy expert.
- Dr Joe Thomas (MSc. PhD) is an accomplished international development professional, academician, public policy expert and human rights, activist. He is the former Executive Director of Partners in Population and Development (PPD), an international Intergovernmental organisation of 26 Developing countries promoting South-South Cooperation with extensive experience in international diplomacy, development cooperation and humanitarian assistance.
- Mr. Abraham Kurien IPS (Retd.), Economy Analyst
- Mr. Siddharth Rony, Research Scholar and Teaching Associate at Royal Halloway, University of London
Department Faculty Info
- Academic Qualifications
No. of books authored by faculty - 1
Research publications – 3
Seminars/workshops Attended – 14
National Seminars Conducted - 1
Training and consultancy – 3 (Economics for other departments (BSW / MSW/ MMH)
- UGC NET - 1
- Additional Degrees – 2
|04869-232203, 232654, +919447083311|